Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bossa Nova In My Mind

Since I was in my elementary days, I've been fascinated by a voice and a particular music. I've been hearing this music every night on the radio. I had no idea then who the singer was and what kind of music it was called but I loved it a lot.

By the time I was in college, I happened to get hold of Astrud Gilberto's album. I was so happy because I loved her music too. Her voice was so sweet, smooth and calm, as if her voice was floating in the air. And from there, I learned that the voice and the kind of music that I heard then was that of her husband, Joao Gilberto and his music is called Bossa Nova.

Trivia: "Joao Gilberto is credited with having created the bossa nova beat and is known as the "Father of Bossa Nova." His seminal recordings, including many songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes, established the new musical genre in the late 1950s. He was Astrud Gilberto's husband."

Here is the link
to
Joao Gilberto's music video entitled "Desafinado" that is very familiar to me, which I've been hearing during my younger years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6w3a2v_50U.

And here's a link to Astrud Gilberto's song entitled "The Girl From Ipanema", which is one of my first favorite songs of hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment